A military style summer school offers a regimented education program that teaches teens how to make better choices, test their physical and mental limits, and embody the values of respect, honor, and self-discipline. The choices include everything from military academies to camps for teens at risk and boot-camp summer programs.
Benefits of Military Style Summer Schools
These types of summer programs offer a challenging and rewarding experience for teens as a way to prepare for college and beyond. Many of these schools have outdoor elements and physical challenges that add to the experience and provide a sense of adventure similar to a sports camp, so that it's much more than a traditional sit-down classroom. Being away from home in a structured environment can be important for youth who are prone to getting in trouble during the summer or not responding to a traditional summer school program. Knowledge and wisdom gained in these types of schools and teen summer camps include:
- Teamwork and collaboration
- Stronger physical and mental capabilities
- Leadership skills
- Confidence building
- Structure and discipline
- Personal responsibility
- Physical fitness
List of Military Style Summer Schools
Here are some military summer school programs that are available. Most of these programs are a few weeks to a month in length; some may offer boarding school year round.
- Fork Union is a Christian boarding school with a summer program for boys in grades six to 12.
- Honor Code offers multiple programs for high-achieving students in grades eight to 12 to reach their full potential.
- Hargrave Military Academy offers a summer session for boys in grades seven to 12. The session offers academics, leadership, and athletics.
- Freedom Alliance Military Leadership Academy is a summer program that motivates and teaches teen boys using core values and working with military personnel.
- Marine Military Academy offers a summer camp that is patented after the US Marine Corps. Some of the challenges include obstacles courses, mud runs, paint ball, and a rifle range.
- Camden Military Academy offers summer sessions for enrichment and outdoor camp experiences for teen boys. This program includes classes for credit and teacher supervision during study hall.
- US Army Cadet Corps has summer programs and leadership schools for young men and women ages 13 to 18.
- Midcourse Correction Challenge Camp is an outdoor challenge camp for at-risk youth that aims to build confidence and serve as a wakeup call for teen girls and boys.
What to Expect
The goal of military style summer schools is to give each young person a sense of accomplishment and some of the tools to be successful in life. The right program should offer a mix of caring staff and the right motivators that reach the underachieving and unmotivated teens and help them reach their potential. Even though the challenges can be extremely difficult, when pushed to the limit, it is possible to reach even the most troubled teen.