Are you interested in creative ways to ask someone to homecoming? Good homecoming ideas can be a challenge, since you want to be original but not over the top. Asking someone to homecoming in a cute or creative way can spice up the proposal into something memorable, not overdone!
What Is Homecoming?
While not as popular of an event as prom, homecoming is usually a fall event. It focuses on the school's big team (usually the football team) playing one of the first or last games on their home field. The event is also a time where former alumni, parents and family are welcome to come visit and get involved in the school. There is also a large dance banquet that is a part of the homecoming event. The dance is often the most exciting part of homecoming for most high school students.
A Few Creative Homecoming Invite Ideas
Deciding how to ask someone to homecoming can be tough. Consider asking your date out in a unique way. You can consider:
- Set up a treasure hunt. Put a note in the person of interest's locker for him/her to be at a certain place at a particular time. At that location, leave another clue to where he/she needs to go next. Have the last note ask if he/she will go with you to homecoming. Hide somewhere close where you can come out when you see the person reading the note.
- If you know where the person lives, use colored chalks to sketch the question on the sidewalk or driveway. Ask the person's parents before you do something like this so they won't be upset.
- Make a Spotify playlist and share it with your potential date. Label the playlist "Homecoming with (insert name)?"
- If you are the bold type, consider singing out your desire for a homecoming date to your potential date in a public place. Be sure that he/she is not too shy before you go about it.
- If the person is of driving age, leave a note on the windshield of his/her car.
- You can buy a box of chocolates and use icing to spell out your question. You can also bake a batch of cookies or a cake that can have the same effect.
- During lunch, get your potential date a drink. Place a straw in the drink with a little flag. On the flag, write something that asks "Will you go with me to homecoming?" or "Homecoming + you + me= :)?"
- If you live by a body of water, such as a lake, you can float a little boat with the message and have the boat float up next to the person. Not near a body of water? You could use a remote control car during homeroom to deliver your message.
- Consider writing a poem and slipping it into your potential date's locker.
- If you are too shy to ask your date in person, you could mail the person a handmade card. If you don't want to actually mail it, you can place it on his/her front porch.
- Stuffed animals are always a great idea for a guy or girl. Everyone loves having something cuddly to hold on to. Go to the dollar store and buy three small stuffed animals. Each day, leave one of the animals. On the last stuffed animal, write a note that says "Hope you're feeling warm and fuzzy enough to go to homecoming with me"
Cute Ways to Ask a Girl to Homecoming
Asking someone in a thoughtful way can make all the difference for them. Consider asking your potential date by:
- Wear a custom t-shirt to school with the girl's name on the front and "homecoming?" on the back. Approach her during lunch or while she's at her locker and give her a beautiful bouquet of flowers after she responds. Be sure to ask her friends what her favorite flowers are so you can be extra prepared.
- If you're asking your girlfriend or someone you've started dating, you can get her a small gift like a bracelet or necklace and write "Will you go to homecoming with me?" on the inside box's lid as a special surprise.
- Ask your potential date out for dinner and see if the waiter can bring out a dessert that spells out "Homecoming?" on it.
Cute Ways to Ask a Guy to Homecoming
If you're thinking of asking a guy to homecoming, there are a couple sweet ways to do so. You can:
- Order custom M&Ms with "Homecoming?" written on them. Stash them in your potential date's locker if you can sneakily get the combo from a friend, or slip them into his backpack with a note.
- Write a sweet note asking your potential date to homecoming and put it into a balloon. Blow up the balloon and tie it to his backpack or his car. When he sees that there's something inside the balloon, he'll pop it and see your cute letter.
Asking Someone to Homecoming: Poster Ideas
Coming up with a cute poster can make your date feel special. You can do this solo, or have friends help you out when it comes to actually asking. You can have your poster:
- Read "Homecoming with (insert your name)?" Have each friend hold up a poster with one word on it and present each poster board one at a time to draw out the surprise. Decorate the poster with hearts and glitter.
- Read "Let's Dance the Night Away, Homecoming with me- What do you say?" At the bottom of the poster write "yes or no" and let them circle their answer. Bring a big sharpie marker. If you have cute pictures of you two together, you can glue those to the board.
- Read "Let's Party- Homecoming?" Decorate the board with confetti.
How to Ask a Cheerleader to Homecoming
If you want to ask a cheerleader to the homecoming dance, there are some fun ways you can incorporate cheerleading into your proposal. You can:
- Dress up like a cheerleader and plan to surprise your potential date with a funny chant or cheer. This will definitely bring a smile to their face.
- Order a few pom-poms and stash them on your potential date's car. Attach a little note to each pom-pom and have each one read one or two words spelling out "Will you go to homecoming with me?"
- Have a few friends help you out and chant a cute cheer to your potential date during lunch or after school.
Creative Homecoming Asks Over Text
If you are on the shy side, or just want to do something more private, you can send your potential date a text. You can think about:
- Sending a cute video to your potential date. You can keep things short and sweet or profess your feelings. Either way, customize your video to your date's likes. If your potential date has a sense of humor, try to inject some comedy or lightheartedness into your video.
- Create a fun meme or emoji. You can do a dancing person or animal and include writing at the bottom asking them to the homecoming dance.
- Find a funny meme that has to do with dancing and text it. Send a follow-up message asking them to the dance.
One More Way to Ask Someone to Homecoming
When all is said and done, awesome ways of asking someone out are nice but it's the actual fact that someone is being asked out that matters. If you can't find a creative idea that you actually like or that you think can work, don't worry. Just go ahead and ask your potential date out and see what he/she says. The worst thing that can happen is that the person says no.