Getting asked to prom in a unique, bold way will make any teenager feel like the center of the universe. Show your potential date how psyched you are to be seen at prom with them by asking in a way they'll never forget.
Cute Ways to Ask Someone to Prom
When you're asking your girlfriend, a friend, or someone you'd like to get into a relationship with, cute methods are one way of creating a romantic memory.
The Windshield Approach
If you're not afraid to put your heart on public display, a good way to ask a girl to prom is to try writing your invitation on your car's rear windshield with white shoe polish.
- Write something like, "Julie, you make my heart race. Will you be my date for prom?"
- Offer to give her a ride home from school, but ask her to bring her book bag around to the trunk so she sees your clever invitation.
- If she doesn't immediately decide to take the bus instead, mission accomplished!
Get super cute and creative by embedding a secret promposal in your class notes. Let your potential date borrow the notes to find the hidden message.
- Offer to takes notes for the person you want to ask or bring your notes to a study session.
- Take a highlighter marker and highlight one letter at a time, in order, from your notes to create your message. It could be as simple as "Prom?" or include the other person's name.
- Hand them the notes page and see if they notice the odd highlighting. If not, try to point it out subtly.
Put It on the Board
Find out what her first-period class is and ask the teacher if you could use the chalkboard or smart board.
- Doodle a few hearts and flowers around your invitation to make it look attractive.
- Arrange with a friend ahead of time to make sure she sees the board before class begins so you can be there to get her response.
Tuck an adorable note into a stuffed animal and hope for a sweet response.
- Give her a rabbit with a note that says, "Jenny, Nobunny else will do. Will you go to the prom with me?~ Mike."
- Give her a Teddy bear with a note that says, "I couldn't bear it if you went to prom with anyone else~ Jessica."
- Try giving her a cute, yellow chick with a note that says, "Carrie, I've always thought you were eggstra special. Will you be my prom date?~ Jack."
- She'll find it hard to resist a cuddly lamb and a note that says, "Will ewe go to the prom with me?"
A Dessert Decision
Get yourself invited to your potential date's house for dinner and arrange with their parent to bring dessert ahead of time.
- Get your bake on or place an order with a local bakery for cupcakes, cookies, or cake pops that spell out "Prom?" You can also include the person's name to make it more personal.
- Drop the dessert off when your target isn't home and have their parents hide it.
- After dinner, the parent will bring out dessert and your potential date will be stunned!
Funny Ways to Ask Someone to Prom
If you and your future prom date both have an extreme sense of humor, a funny promposal might be the way to go.
Say It With Chocolate
Buy one of those big Hershey's Kisses, and print your invite on a strip of paper inserted into the foil at the top.
- Place it on the walk that leads to her door and ring the doorbell.
- Point to her package and ask her to open it.
Become a Walking Billboard
Turn yourself into a walking prom sign by either creating a custom screen-printed t-shirt or making a sandwich board sign to wear over your shoulders with poster board and ribbon.
- Write your potential date's name on the front and the question "Prom?" on the back.
- You can get more creative with a phrase like "If you can read this shirt/sign and your name is Jenny Williams, will you go to prom with me?"
- Wear the shirt or sign around school all day and see how long it takes your target to see the message.
- Have your potential date write their answer on the shirt/sign with marker and continue wearing it around if it's a "Yes!"
The Remote Approach
Use a bit of creative technology to get your answer.
- Seal it in an envelope with her name clearly written on it.
- Tape it to the top of a remote control car.
- Get to school early when she's hanging out at her locker and try to stay back out of direct view.
- Send the car over to her and watch her open your card.
Create a funny, viral meme and get the whole to school to share it.
- Find a hilarious image online like a dog or cat making a crazy face.
- Add a creative caption such as "Devin doesn't have a prom date! Maybe Jenna will save him and say Yes?"
- Post the meme on social media and ask your friends to share until it reaches the person you want to invite.
Stage a Spill
Whether you do it in the hallway at school, the cafeteria, or a local snack spot, staging a fall is an easy way to get laughs.
- Write "Prom?" on dozens of napkins in light pen or pencil or on several blank sheets of paper.
- Enlist a friend to record your staged spill.
- Walk with your potential date and stage a fake fall where you let the napkins or papers you're carrying spread across the floor.
- When your potential date starts to help you pick stuff up, they'll get the message.
- Send the recording to your date, preferably after they say "Yes," as a keepsake.
How to Ask a Girl to Prom Over Text
While asking in person is more likely to be appreciated, there are fun ways to ask a girl to prom via text.
A Series of Pictures
Send a series of images that represent your question.
- Take individual pictures of each letter in "Prom?" and send them separately.
- Send a picture of you, then one of her, then one of the prom poster from your school followed by a question mark.
- Take individual pictures of the words "Will you go to prom with me?" from places around town and send each one separately.
A rebus puzzle uses pictures to send a message. You can create one with the emojis and emoticons on your phone to ask a girl to prom.
- Type in [(Cat emoji) sound] + [(bomb emoji)- B]?
- Look for other words that contain the sounds or letters of the word "prom" then use plus and minus signs to create the message.
- If she doesn't get it right away, give a couple of hints.
Periodic Table Reference
If you're into science, you can create almost any cute message using the abbreviations for elements from the Periodic Table.
- Send an image of each element from the table in order or just the names of the elements.
- Type Lanthanum (La), Praseodymium (Pr), Oxygen (O), Molybdenum (Mo)? for a Spanish-inspired question.
- You can also spell out words like "cute," "think," and "Babe" using elements to include in your request.
If you want a guaranteed "Yes," try sending several questions very quickly when messaging with your potential date. Ask her to respond immediately to each question.
- Ask only questions you know she'll answer "Yes" to.
- Ask four or five questions quickly then throw in "Will you go to prom with me?'
- She'll already be in the habit of answering back "Yes!"
GIF or Emoji Response
Try a modern take on those old notes where you asked someone to check "Yes" or "No" if they liked you.
- Ask "Will you go to prom with me?" followed by "Send a GIF for Yes and an Emoji for No."
- You could also request other specific emojis such as the poop emoji for "No" and the heart eyes emoji for "Yes."
- If you really aren't sure whether she'll want to go with you, also offer an option for a "Maybe" response.
Prom Poems for the Win!
You don't have to be Shakespeare to craft a creative poetry promposal. Just come up with a few cute rhymes to help you get the job done.
Rose are red,
Violets are blue.
I'd sure love to go
To the prom with you.
If you say no,
My heart will be broken.
"Yes" is the only word
I hope to hear spoken.
My Prom Queen
Nominated or not
I hope to be seen
at prom 2018
with you as my queen?
By Michele Meleen
Do you like me?
Yes or no?
Is it off
to prom we go?
Fun Promposal Ideas
Capture your dream date's attention in a way that makes you stand out from the others who may also ask him or her to prom. Your "ask" is either going to put you in the running or cut you from the pack, so you want to give it your best shot.
If you're reasonably sure you'll get a "Yes," go to school early and create a memorable surprise.
- Decorate their locker with streamers.
- Use shoe polish to write, "Look inside!"
- Slide a sweet card inside the locker and write a note inside of it asking them to the prom.
Make a Puzzle
Here's a fun invitation that will make your potential date work a little.
- Write on a piece of cardstock, "Will you go to the prom with me?"
- Cut up the card into puzzle shapes.
- Place them in an envelope and give them to your girl.
Create a Web Page
People create web pages for everything these days, so why not create a page to ask your potential date to the prom? When she sees how much work you put into it, she's bound to be impressed.
- Post your best photo, add a clever verse to ask her with, or create a humorous "top ten" list of reasons why she should go to prom with you.
- Send her the URL and make sure your page has a contact link so she can send you her reply.
Sports Fan Sign
If the girl you want to ask plays sports, make a fan sign to hold up at her next game or practice asking her to prom.
- For a football player try "Let's tackle prom as a team, Cami?"
- For a soccer player use "My goal is prom with you, Dominique!?"
- Make sure to include her name on the sign so she knows it's for her.
Grab a snack or drink for your girl and alter the name of it using markers or cut-out letters and tape.
- Change "Doritos" to "Do we gos" by replacing the "ri" with the letters "we" cut from a magazine and the "t" to a "g" then add "to prom?" over the flavor name.
- Get a Propel drink and under the brand name add the phrase "to prom with me?"
- Change the names on a box of Mike & Ikes to your name and her name followed by the phrase "Prom 2018?"
A Little Advice
One of the biggest prom asking tips is to make sure the method you choose feels comfortable to you. If you feel awkward, the other person is going to pick up on it right away. Be confident, not cocky, and don't wait until the last minute to ask. The surest way to get a "No" is to make the other person feel like they were your second choice.