Are you interested in or have been talking with your friends about getting custom made prom dresses for prom night? Many young women think about getting a custom made dress for prom night because it allows them the chance to have the dress of their dreams. But where can you get a custom made dress? What should you consider in doing so? Keep reading for these answers and more!
Custom Made Prom Dresses
Is This Right For Me?
When it comes to getting a specialty prom dress custom built for you, there are obviously pros and cons that come to mind.
- The dress of your dreams: Depending on the type of designer or store you go to, you can custom create every part of the dress, from the style to the thread used.
- Unique: If your dress is custom made, you don't need to worry about any of the other girls wearing the same dress as you! Your dress would be a one of a kind piece that you and only you can wear.
- Fit: With getting a dress custom made (especially by a store and not a website), the dress can fit you like a glove.
- Price: Custom made prom dresses can often cost a good deal more than a dress that's already been made--especially depending on the type of materials that you choose to use.
- Time: If you really want to have a part in a custom made dress, it can be a big time investment. There can be multiple fittings and other problems that come up.
Things To Consider
There are a few things that are important to remember when looking into getting a custom made dress.
- There are two types of custom dresses that can be made: the first is a dress built to your body by your specifications and the second is a dress made in the color and style that you like. The difference between the two is that the first is catered to your body while the second is catered to what you like. The second is also cheaper. Think about which one you would prefer before shopping around.
- A more affordable option for custom dresses is to find a dress that you already like and work with accessories and alterations to make the dress more 'you.' If you like a dress, but not its color, you can try and find fabrics that can be dyed. If you don't like the length, you can always hem it. There are always ideas out there!
- Another cheap option is to find a top and a bottom that you like and put them together to create your own prom outfit.
Where To Get Ideas
It's important to know what you're interested in when trying to get a custom piece. Many sites are more than willing to create a dress for you--if you can sketch or describe to them what you'd like!
Some places you can start gathering ideas for you custom dress:
- Go shopping! See what stores have and find what you love and what you hate.
- Women's magazines
- Fashion shows such as Project Runway or America's Next Top Model
- Wedding magazines
- Beauty websites
Where to Find Custom Dresses
If you're looking for a custom piece, here are some places to start your search:
- Lunns will custom make your dress for you and guide you through the process. You can set your style parameters as well as a budget before they begin.
- My Jeanne Couture makes designing your own prom dress easy.
- While June Bridals doesn't allow you to start with any style, they do allow you to customize the dress to your exact color and size specifications.
- Many bridal and fine dress stores are more than willing to work with you on a design and dress.