If you're just venturing out into the dating territory or you're hoping to do so soon, you can benefit from flirting tips for teenagers. The key is to keep it lighthearted and fun. Flirting is a way to say, "Hey, you, I like you" without having to actually say it. Read on for the how-tos.
Flirting is a way to call attention to yourself and impress your crush with your wit and charm, plus make them know you like them without ever having to spell it out. Most of us don't feel too comfortable with just saying it, and part of the fun of a potential new relationship is the game of "Is he or she flirting or aren't they?" There's a certain thrill to flirting.
The bonus perk to flirting is that it makes you feel better about yourself! When your flirting is well received, you feel more important and liked. And while your main goal is to snag a sweetie, the only person who really needs to like you is you. It's a great cycle because the more you like yourself, the more others will be drawn to you. Just don't become a narcissist! The self-assuredness you gain in your flirting adventures will stick with you for life.
Top Flirting Tips for Teenagers
There are so many detailed flirting tips for teenagers out there (whole books!), but here are some of the best:
- Display your sense of humor. Laugh at their jokes if they're funny and tell a couple of your own. Don't be afraid to let them know that they're funny with words in addition to a giggle or guffaw.
- Casually touch your crush's arm as if you're simply emphasizing a point.
- Show off just how smart you are. You don't have to act like a know-it-all (please don't!), but don't dumb yourself down in an attempt to reel in the object of your affection
- Make eye contact. Go on, don't be shy. Don't stare, of course, but don't let yourself get overwhelmed by the fact that you're talking to someone you really like. Make the general eye contact you would make with a sales clerk, for example. Just hold it a second or so longer.
- Be confident- or just act like you are. The longer you pretend to be confident, the more confident you will become. That in itself will make you a better flirt.
- The cardinal rule is to be yourself. However trite it may sound, it's true. If you can't impress your crush by being true to who you are, do you really want to spend much more time with him or her? Save your efforts for someone who will appreciate them. Not to mention, if your crush believes you're being "fake" they may be turned off immediately.
- Make eye contact from across the room and quickly look away. Make eye contact again, hold their gaze for a few seconds and smile. Then look away again. That will let you know that you are interested in almost any school or social setting. Don't be surprised if they approach you as soon as possible for a chat.
Body Language 101
Body language is huge in flirting. While flirting is made up of smiling, eye contact, light and casual touches and sharing a sense of humor, flirting isn't the same without body language. It's one of easiest ways to flirt. Knowing the body language hints of flirting will help you decide if your potential new boyfriend or girlfriend really likes you back. Flirty body language includes:
- Sitting with your knees pointed toward your crush while engaged in conversation
- Flashing the inner portion of your wrist. This one is traditionally for women. For example, if you're holding a soda and angle it outward so that the delicate skin of your wrist is exposed. The same goes for the palm of your hand.
- Leaning forward and maintaining good eye contact in conversation. Leaning forward gives the impression of hanging on their every word, therefore making them feel important.
- Playing with hair (flipping it, twirling it, and so on) is a common flirty body language tactic among women.
Smiling, eye contact, and body language that conveys the right message are the best--and usually easiest--flirting tips to abide by.