From serious and sentimental to humorous and fun, graduation sayings exist to fit whatever message you want to convey to a graduate. You can use graduation sayings as part of a special graduation speech or to add to a card, scrapbook, yearbook, graduation cake or gift for a middle school or high school graduate.
Graduation Quotes for Daughters and Sons
Tell your son or daughter how you feel with these classic quotes. You can say or write:
- "A mother's treasure is her daughter." - Catherine Pulsifer
- "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you." - Author Unknown
- "We must teach our girls that if they speak their mind, they can create the world they want to see." - Robyn Silverman
- "You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes." - Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
Religious Inspirational Sayings
If you're looking for a religious quote to share with the recent graduate you can use:
- "An unschooled man who knows how to meditate upon the Lord has learned far more than the man with the highest education who does not know how to meditate." - Reverend Charles Stanley
- "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)
- "Don't go through life, grow through life." - Eric Butterworth
- "What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God." - Eleanor Powell
Short Graduation Sayings
Sometimes it's best to keep things short and sweet. Write or say:
- "School's out. Memories past. Don't ever doubt. Our friendship will last." - Author Unknown
- "Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same." - Flavia Weedn
- "There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship." - Author Unknown
- "We do not remember days; we remember moments." - Cesare Pavese
Motivational Graduation Messages
A motivational message is a great way to share some words of wisdom with the graduate. You can try:
- "Never give in - never, never, never, in nothing great or small." - Winston Churchill
- "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
- "Spread joy. Chase your wildest dreams." - Patch Adams
- "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss
- "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown
Some of these quotes might also work well in graduation bios.
Funny Congratulations Sayings
Put a smile on the graduate's face with some of these silly sayings:
- "The tassel's worth the hassle!" -Author Unknown
- "A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success." - Robert Orben
- "You know that point at your graduation ceremony where everyone throws their caps? Isn't it great that we all celebrate how smart we are by throwing sharp pointy objects in the air." - Anonymous
- "You will make a lousy anybody else, but you will be the best "you" in existence." - Zig Ziglar
- "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
- "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carneg
Original Sayings and Wishes
Want a saying that is unique and has never been heard before? Use these in a graduation speech or quote.
Let your little one know how proud you are of them with these phrases:
- You've learned your ABCS and your 123s. The rest of school will be a breeze.
- You're a little graduate and we're so proud of you. Now it's time for you to head to the big kids' school.
- You've learned to read your favorite rhymes and count from one to ten, but now it's time to say goodbye to kindergarten. First grade, here you come!
- She may be little, but she be a preschool graduate.
- We love our little graduate and we just want to say how very, very proud we are on your graduation day.
8th Grade Graduation Sentiments
Let the 8th grader in your life know how great they've done in school by saying or writing:
- You've crossed the bridge of middle school. Now off to high school you go.
- No longer a little boy, you've grown into a man. You're moving on from middle school with a diploma in your hand.
- You've gotten through the middle and now you're on the top. It's time to head to high school and show them all you've got.
- Three years ago you were our little girl, but today she is no more. Instead standing in her place is a graduate we adore.
- You've graduated middle school. You're more than halfway done. Only four more years to go. The fun has just begun.
High School Graduation Sayings
High school graduation is such an incredible milestone to experience. Try saying or writing:
- This little girl is all grown up and now she's college bound. We can't wait to see her use the knowledge that she's found.
- On your high school graduation, I'd like to stop and say, how proud I am of how much you've done to become who you are today.
- Just yesterday you were in the nest, just learning how to fly. Now it's time to spread your wings and head for the sky.
- It has been four long years, but now the day has come. Your life is just beginning as your high school days are done.
- For years you've dreamed about this day and now it's finally come. Buckle in and hold on tight, your life has just begun.
Graduation Banner Sayings
A graduation banner is a great way to decorate a graduation party, or your home after the ceremony. You can write or have the following options printed:
- ConGRADulations you superstar!!!!
- You're Gonna Soar You Smarty-Pants!
- Hip Hip Hooray You've Graduated Today!
- Your Amazing Journey Begins Today!
- You've Worked Hard to Get Here, Finals Are Over You're in the Clear!
Graduation Cake Sayings
A graduation cake is a fun way to celebrate such a major milestone! You can write or have the bakery write:
- Happy Graduation Day to Our Favorite Person in the World!
- Here's to You on This Special Day! You've Grown into an Amazing Person in Every Way!
- Graduation=Party Time!!
- Off to College You Go to Learn a Lot and Grow!
You could also consider having the class motto piped on the cake if it's a fairly simple one.
If you're lost on what to say in a yearbook, you can try:
- Can't believe this day has finally come. Let's celebrate our graduation and have lots of fun!
- Graduation is a time to reflect on yourself. Enjoy every moment of this incredible experience.
- You've graduated with success. Off to college to do your best!
- What an epic moment you've seized! You've graduated high school with ease!
Sayings for a Daughter Graduating
If your daughter is graduating, you can say or write:
- Happy grad day to our incredible daughter. We are so proud of the person you've turned into.
- You've grown into an amazing, graceful, and kind woman.
- Your transformation into adulthood has been an honor to be a part of.
- It's been a true joy to raise you. We (I) can't wait to see what you go off to do.
Sayings for a Son Graduating
When your son graduates, let him know how you feel by saying:
- What a special man you've turned into. We are so proud of you!
- As a son, you're the best. Your graduation is a time to celebrate your accomplishments.
- You've changed from a curious boy to a thoughtful man. Today we celebrate your amazing journey!
- As a son, you're simply the greatest! Your graduation today is something to be incredibly proud of.
What to Write in a Graduation Card
Although there are lots of quotes about graduation and graduation slogans, the most meaningful may be a phrase or saying you come up with yourself. If you're writing a letter or card to a special grad, what was a piece of advice or a bit of inspiration you wish someone would have shared with you when you were a graduating high school student? For sentiments about education and commencement, take a fresh look at the event of graduation itself and note what strikes you as special about it. For tips on writing your own as sayings pertaining to graduation:
- Congratulate the graduate on his hard work and any specific accomplishments he achieved. You can't go wrong with heartfelt wishes.
- Offer a piece of unique advice.
- Write a series of inspirational words or phrases with bullets or periods in between for emphasis (i.e. Believe. Dream. Always be your best...).
- Write a saying about the gifts the graduate has, and what you appreciate in his or her personality.
- Share special religious or Bible verses or personal mottos with the graduate.
- Offer a saying about the insight you've gained on facing difficult circumstances. Begin with a saying such as, "Going to college/ pursuing your career/ going out on your own/etc. may not always be easy, but one thing I've learned when going through difficult times is..."
Celebrating the Graduate
Sharing your thoughts with the recent graduate can be an incredibly meaningful moment for you two. Whether you decide to use a famous phrase or a personalized saying to express graduation sentiments, memorable graduation quotes can play an important role in celebrating this culmination in education.