From serious and sentimental to humorous and fun, graduation sayings exist to fit whatever message you want to convey to a graduate. You can use graduation sayings as part of a special graduation speech or to add to a card, scrapbook, yearbook, graduation cake or gift for a middle school or high school graduate.
Graduation Quotes for Daughters and Sons
- "A mother's treasure is her daughter." - Catherine Pulsifer
- "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you." - Author Unknown
- "We must teach our girls that if they speak their mind, they can create the world they want to see." - Robyn Silverman
- "You don't raise heroes, you raise sons. And if you treat them like sons, they'll turn out to be heroes, even if it's just in your own eyes." - Walter M. Schirra, Sr.
Religious Inspirational Sayings
- "An unschooled man who knows how to meditate upon the Lord has learned far more than the man with the highest education who does not know how to meditate." - Reverend Charles Stanley
- "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5-6 (NIV)
- "Don't go through life, grow through life." - Eric Butterworth
- "What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God." - Eleanor Powell
Short Sayings for Yearbooks
- "School's out. Memories past. Don't ever doubt. Our friendship will last." - Author Unknown
- "Some people come into our lives and leave footprints on our hearts and we are never ever the same." - Flavia Weedn
- "There are big ships and small ships. But the best ship of all is friendship." - Author Unknown
- "We do not remember days; we remember moments." - Cesare Pavese
Motivational Graduation Messages
- "Never give in - never, never, never, in nothing great or small." - Winston Churchill
- "All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
- "Spread joy. Chase your wildest dreams." - Patch Adams
- "You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss
- "Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars." - Les Brown
Humorous Congratulations Sayings
- "The tassel's worth the hassle!" -Author Unknown
- "A graduation ceremony is an event where the commencement speaker tells thousands of students dressed in identical caps and gowns that 'individuality' is the key to success." - Robert Orben
- "You know that point at your graduation ceremony where everyone throws their caps ? Isn't it great that we all celebrate how smart we are by throwing sharp pointy objects in the air." - Anonymous
- "You will make a lousy anybody else, but you will be the best "you" in existence." - Zig Ziglar
- "Life is too important to be taken seriously." - Oscar Wilde
- "Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carneg
Original Sayings and Wishes
Want a saying that is unique and has never been heard before? Use these in a graduation speech or quote.
- You've learned your ABCS and your 123s. The rest of school will be a breeze.
- You're a little graduate and we're so proud of you. Now it's time for you to head to the big kids' school.
- You've learned to read your favorite rhymes and count from one to ten, but now it's time to say goodbye to kindergarten. First grade, here you come!
- She may be little, but she be a preschool graduate.
- We love our little graduate and we just want to say how very, very proud we are on your graduation day.
8th Grade Graduation Sentiments
- You've crossed the bridge of middle school. Now off to high school you go.
- No longer a little boy, you've grown into a man. You're moving on from middle school with a diploma in your hand.
- You've gotten through the middle and now you're on the top. It's time to head to high school and show them all you've got.
- Three years ago you were our little girl, but today she is no more. Instead standing in her place is a graduate we adore.
- You've graduated middle school. You're more than halfway done. Only four more years to go. The fun has just begun.
High School Graduates
- This little girl is all grown up and now she's college bound. We can't wait to see her use the knowledge that she's found.
- On your high school graduation, I'd like to stop and say, how proud I am of how much you've done to become who you are today.
- Just yesterday you were in the nest, just learning how to fly. Now it's time to spread your wings and head for the sky.
- It has been four long years, but now the day has come. Your life is just beginning as your high school days are done.
- For years you've dreamed about this day and now it's finally come. Buckle in and hold on tight, your life has just begun.
What to Write in a Graduation Card
Although there are lots of quotes about graduation, the most meaningful may be a phrase or saying you come up with yourself. If you're writing a letter or card to a special grad, what was a piece of advice or a bit of inspiration you wish someone would have shared with you when you were a graduating high school student? For sentiments about education and commencement, take a fresh look at the event of graduation itself and note what strikes you as special about it. For tips on writing your own as sayings pertaining to graduation:
- Congratulate the graduate on his hard work and any specific accomplishments he achieved. You can't go wrong with heartfelt wishes.
- Offer a piece of unique advice.
- Write a series of inspirational words or phrases with bullets or periods in between for emphasis (i.e. Believe. Dream. Always be your best...).
- Write a saying about the gifts the graduate has, and what you appreciate in his or her personality.
- Share special religious or Bible verses or personal mottos with the graduate.
- Offer a saying about the insight you've gained on facing difficult circumstances. Begin with a saying such as, "Going to college/ pursuing your career/ going out on your own/etc. may not always be easy, but one thing I've learned when going through difficult times is..."
Whether you decide to use a famous phrase or a personalized saying to express graduation sentiments, memorable graduation quotes can play an important role in celebrating this culmination in education.