Every graduating class wants to be remembered by those who come up the ranks behind them. Unique senior pranks are one way you can leave a mark behind that will be talked about for years.
Senior Prank Ideas
While pulling a prank as a class is a rite of passage, it's important to be smart about the pranks whether they're done in person or online. You want to hit on something creative, but that won't get the pranksters into any serious trouble, risk their graduation, or even get them arrested. The best senior pranks will be thoughtful and meaningful to the graduating class.
Inside the School Senior Prank Ideas
Any prank you can imagine committing can be integrated into your senior prank. Between the school walls, you'll find tons of amusing pranks that people will talk about for years to come.
- Fill an entire hallway with helium balloons, beach balls, hay, or Styrofoam peanuts.
- Line the walls with post-it notes, from floor to ceiling.
- Let ten crickets loose in the hallways.
- Turn the cafeteria into a beach scene, with inflatable palm trees, beach balls, tiki torches, beach chairs, and a plastic pool filled with sand.
- Have the entire senior class bring alarm clocks and hide them all around school to go off at different times.
- Put petroleum jelly on doorknobs and handrails throughout the school.
- Get rubber mice and put them throughout the school.
- Slip in some prank announcements into the regular list of school announcements. Things like "all freshman must obey the seniors" or "the class of 2015 is the best class this school has ever had." Keep the prank announcements clean and light-hearted and you shouldn't get into trouble.
- Turn every chair in the cafeteria upside down.
- Cover everything on the librarian's desk with aluminum foil, including her computer and keyboard.
- Print up small cards that say "the class of ____ was here" or "Zap! You've just been tagged by the class of ____. Now, your class must come up with a senior prank." Place the cards into textbooks before each person in the class turns them back in. They'll be found by next year's seniors.
- Set a specific time for everyone in the senior class to break into a specific song and dance no matter where they are. This one takes a little pre-planning, but it is a lot of fun. Choose a song that has special meaning to your class. Every time people hear that song in the future, they'll remember the prank.
- Swap cables around in the computer lab so that the keyboard and mouse control the computer next to it.
Outside Senior Pranks
When you're pulling off a prank outside, make sure it will be easy to clean up and not cause any damage to the school property. Pranks that take place in the outdoors have an extra audience of cars driving by and the ability for the public and children to see, so try to keep it clean.
- Write out the graduation year on the front lawn. Ways to do this include using plastic forks or cocktail umbrella toothpicks to spell out the year. You can also get permission from your principal ahead of time and use white spray paint, which will grow out after a couple of mowings.
- Paint the year on a rock using sidewalk chalk. No permanent damage, but it still makes a statement.
- Hang scarves in school colors on a tree.
- Put rubber ducks in the school fountain.
- Decorate the sidewalks with colorful chalk artwork.
- Have a slumber party on the front lawn.
- Have all the seniors park their cars in a maze shape in the parking lot. You may want to check with your transportation director on this to be sure you aren't blocking the buses or creating a safety hazard.
- Put a giant "for sale" sign in front of the school.
- Wind plastic wrap around the principal's car. He'll need to use scissors to cut it off or the doors won't open.
- Place big signs around the outside of the school that say "school is closed today."
Graduation Ceremony Pranks
Pranks carried out during graduation have a wider audience and more cause for potential disruption. However, if you can pull off a prank that does not disrupt the graduation ceremony, you're on your way to greatness.
- Give everyone a small object to slip into the principal's hand when you shake hands, such as a marble, quarter, straw, plastic toy, etc.
- Dress up a life-size doll or cardboard cutouts of celebrities in cap and gown.
- Send a funny letter to parents with a ridiculous message, such as everyone must wear striped socks to the graduation ceremony.
- Set up a flash mob. Meet in the weeks before graduation to learn a song and dance. On the day of graduation, one of the speakers should say a phrase that signals everyone to stand, wherever they are, and perform. This is a lot of fun if you can get a few janitors, teachers and maybe the school secretary to participate as well.
The Best Senior Pranks Keep It Legal, Clean and Fun
There can be a fine line between what is on and off limits for a good high school senior prank, so make sure you start by using some common sense. Your prank should not harm any living creatures, cause vandalism or damage, permanently change the school, or have criminal intent. You want to be remembered as a fun class, not as the class with 60 members who went to jail over their prank. If in doubt, check with your principal before pulling the prank. Most principals enjoy a good, non-harmful senior prank just as much as you do. Once you're clear on your boundaries, it's time to have fun and see what kind of legacy your class can leave behind.