Ah, the lazy days of youth; couch surfing, potato chips, quiet; can you say YAWN - wouldn't you rather be having the best time of your life at a parks and recreation teen extreme camp?
This Is Not Your Momma's Camp
Teen extreme camps are a whole new breed of camp; bringing together the best of the wilderness and great energizing activities. If you think camp is all sitting around toasting marshmallows and singing Kum Ba Ya you are very, very mistaken. A parks and recreation teen extreme camp has so much cool stuff to offer that it's tough to narrow it down. Still, I'll give it whirl.
An extreme camp round up on the internet turned up all kinds of amazing and exciting activities such as:
- Kayaking, river rafting, and rock climbing
- Late night games and music
- Snowboarding and snowtubing
- Archeology digs
- Wilderness survival
- GPS & Geocaching
- Tree climbing clinics
- Road trips
- Shakespeare Festival
- Magic and illusion
- In-line skating
- Fun on the beach
And so much more! It's astounding the choices teens have today and hard to imagine that there's not a teen extreme camp that will fit any individual's needs.
Extreme Camp Healthy Benefits
Attending a parks and recreation teen extreme camp will result in positive and healthy benefits such as:
- Leadership skills
- Learned skills and increased self-esteem
- Great friendships with people of all ages
- Exercise, exercise, exercise - getting off the couch is great for your body and mind!
- Community interaction
- Volunteer experiences
- Increased self-identity
- Fun and reduced stress
- Responsibility, resourcefulness, and resilience
- Increased skills in caring and fairness
- An appreciation of nature and the environment
Locate Your Perfect Parks and Recreation Teen Extreme Camp Experience
You can start with your local parks and recreation center. Often your local parks and recreation will send out a mailer every so often with listings for current camps and other extreme activities.
Other great ways to find an extreme camp include:
- National Recreation and Parks Association: Look here to find links to local parks and recreation information.
- YMCA: The YMCA offers tons of great camp experiences for teens. Take a look at their national site and find links for local resources.
- American Camp Association: Not only does this site have a great camp locater but also articles and tips for campers.
Costs & Scholarships
Don't be discouraged if a camp looks too expensive for you and your family. Many camps offer scholarships; both work scholarships and no-strings attached scholarships. Most scholarships are based on income limitations and how early you apply. If you know you're going to want to attend a camp soon - apply now. Even if a camp doesn't have scholarship information listed in bold on their website or flyer does not mean they don't offer financial assistance. Call and ask - you may be happily surprised.
Now, get out there and have some extreme camping fun!