Prom can be a great experience, and these prom tips for guys can make it a fun and stress-free night that will be remembered long past high school.
The Importance of Prom
Prom is a once-in-a-lifetime event and is often the first formal dinner dance teenagers attend. Unfortunately, most of the prom advice out there is about choosing the best hairstyle, prom dress, and makeup for the big night - not exactly tips for guys. Yet prom can be a romantic night for a gentleman to spend with his special lady, and knowing how to plan for the prom, get ready for the big date, and how to wrap up the evening as a gentleman can help guys approach prom with confidence.
How to Prepare for Prom
Long before prom guys need to start planning, and these tips can help.
- Start saving money months before the prom. Tuxedo rentals, transportation, dining, prom tickets, flowers, pictures, and other necessities can add up quickly, and a well-prepared guy will have a decent budget to work with.
- Buy prom tickets early. Many schools limit the number of tickets sold and tickets may not be available at the last minute. If plans fall through and you can't attend, you can always sell the tickets to less prepared guys who didn't think ahead.
- Ask your date to accompany you to the prom at least a month in advance. Even if you have a steady girlfriend, be a gentleman and ask for her company that evening to show how special you hope the event will be.
- If you are renting a prom tuxedo, shop early for the best deals and widest selection of styles. To make sure you coordinate with your date, ask her opinion on basic styles or colors, but feel free to experiment a little to add your own style and flair to your prom attire.
- When you rent the tuxedo, be sure it is sized correctly for a proper fit, and ask questions about any accessories you aren't sure how to use.
- If you will be attending prom with a group of friends, consider coordinating all your tuxedos for a sleek, fashionable look.
- If you will be renting transportation such as a limousine, consider pooling your resources with other couples to make it more affordable, and shop early for a reservation.
- If you're nervous about dancing at the prom, arrange for beginner's dance lessons a few weeks before the event. These can also be a fun date with your prom partner and will let both of you polish your moves to shine on the dance floor.
- Make dinner reservations at least two weeks in advance if the prom tickets do not include a catered dinner. Choose a restaurant you and your date can comfortably enjoy - be sure to ask about any allergies or preferences she may have.
- Two weeks before the prom, ask your date about the color of her dress so you can coordinate a matching corsage. If she wants to keep her dress a surprise, choose a corsage in white or with the school colors to be safe. Order the corsage as soon as you know the colors.
- Get a new haircut or trim a week before the prom. Now is not the time to experiment with radically new styles, but a neat haircut will look dashing on prom night.
What to Do on Prom Night
On the day of the prom, it isn't only girls who need time to look their best. Prom tips for guys on that important day include:
- If you aren't renting a car or limo, be sure the car you will use is clean and gassed up before picking up your date.
- Attend to your personal hygiene carefully, including a shower, close shave, trimmed and cleaned fingernails, and other details to be well groomed for the evening. If you use aftershave or cologne, take care not to apply too much.
- Be prompt to pick up your date and greet her parents politely. Be prepared to answer questions about your plans for the evening, and be sure to ask about the evening's curfew so you can have your date home on time.
- Be polite to your date at all times. Prom is a great opportunity to be a gentleman: open doors for her, pull out her chair, and offer her your coat if it is chilly.
- Compliment your date multiple times throughout the evening. Young women will take great care to be stunning on prom night, and if you notice those details you can really show her you care about her.
- If you attend prom with a group of friends, it's fine to dance with other girls once or twice, but be sure to pay the most attention to your date and don't spend the evening hanging out with other guys instead.
- If you attend an after prom party, be responsible. Avoid alcohol, continue to be a gentleman, and be sure you have your date home before the required parental curfew.
- Always thank your date for a lovely evening and her wonderful companionship when you kiss her good night!
After the Prom
After the prom, guys can still be gentlemen by letting their dates know later that week how great a time they had. If you have pictures from the prom, share copies with your date so she can enjoy the memories too. Other after prom tips include:
- Return all rented items promptly to avoid late fees.
- Submit prom pictures to the yearbook if requested.
- Follow up with your prom date to let her know she's special to you all the time, not just on one night.
Easy Prom Tips for Guys
With careful planning and the right prom tips for guys, even a guy who has never been to a formal event can enjoy prom with confidence and style..