Whether you're getting ready for a costume party or you just enjoy retro styles, teen fifties clothing offers cute clothes for teens.
Teen Fifties Clothing Styles
Poodle skirts are one of the most recognizable fashions from the fifties. They are long, circular skirts, falling from below the knee to above the ankle. They are called "poodle" skirts because they often feature an appliqué of a poodle on the front. Other images, like records, are also common. The skirts are made of felt or a similar material, and girls can wear petticoats underneath for added flounce.
Sweaters and Blouses
Girls didn't wear t-shirts in the fifties, so the fashionable girl could often be found wearing a tucked in button-up blouse. Girls can also wear sweaters with poodle skirts and jeans alike. A white collared shirt worn underneath is a nice touch. Girls can choose regular sweaters or cardigans for an equally authentic look.
If you've ever seen Grease, this is the look immortalized by John Travolta as Danny Zuko. To be a greaser, guys need to wear dark jeans, a tight, white t-shirt, and a black leather jacket. Slick your hair back with enough gel to keep it looking wet all day. You may also want to use the gel to sculpt your hair into a pompadour or ducktail.
- Fifties party dresses and vintage prom dresses have wide, full skirts and lots of chiffon and tulle.
- Capri pants and rolled up jeans were popular with girls.
- Ponytails, pigtails, and bobs are good feminine hairstyles. Guys often sported crewcuts.
- A thin scarf tied around the neck or a ponytail is a quick accessory.
- If you want to look like a fifties football hero, or his best girl, a varsity jacket or letterman sweater is essential.
- Saddle shoes are classic fifties footwear.
Finding Fifties Clothing
- Costume shops - Teen fifties clothing is a popular choice for Halloween and year-round. Look to discount retailers and specialized costume shops like HalloweenUSA in September and October. Throughout the year, you can turn to online retailers like Spirit Halloween and BuyCostumes.com.
- Costume rental shops - If you know your foray into fifties fashion will be a one time only thing, renting an outfit from a costume shop will let you wear a high-quality outfit for a fraction of the price.
- Make your own - With a little bit of sewing skill, you can make your own poodle skirt. Create saddle shoes by painting black areas on a pair of white tennis shoes. You don't even need to be crafty to find a white undershirt and some hair gel to become a greaser.
- Vintage clothing stores and thrift shops - Find the perfect look among others' cast-off clothing. The prices at vintage shops will be more expensive compared to thrift stores, but the selection is much better.
- Closets and attics - You never know what treasures family members may have saved away.
Opportunities to Wear Fifties Styles
You love the idea of dressing in teen fifties clothing. Now where can you wear these "happening" styles?
- Plan a theme party and invite all your friends for a night of old-fashioned fun.
- Hold a sock hop at your school or church.
- Dress up for Halloween.
- Wear a fifties-style outfit any day for a unique look. If you're not feeling that brave, try one detail, like a scarf tied around your ponytail or a pair of saddle shoes.
- Create a fifties-inspired routine for the cheerleading squad or dance team.
- If your school has dress-up days during Homecoming or another spirit week, make one day a "Blast from the Past" day.