Teen skirts provide young girls with an affordable and stylish alternative to wearing pants everyday. For hundreds of years, girls and women have loved wearing skirts. Few articles of clothing are as distinctly feminine as the skirt. There are so many skirt lengths and shapes for teens that it's easy to play up your best features or go for different vibes from one day to the next. There are skirts for fashionable girls of all shapes and sizes.
Helpful Skirt Shopping Tips
When shopping, keep the following guidelines in mind to ensure that you come home with the right skirt:
|Key Factor||Significant Because|
|Quality||Take a look at the fabric and stitching. Is it made of a durable material? Does it require dry cleaning? Are any zippers or hooks coming undone? If it's a classic style like an A-line, you may want to keep it in your wardrobe for long term usage. Answering these simple questions will help you decide if it's a keeper.|
|Cut and Length||Cut refers to the type of skirt, such as a tube, pencil skirt, etc. Depending on the occasion, the length may give you reason to pause. High heeled boots and tights make it easy to wear minis in the winter, but the same can't be said for tube skirts in the summer.|
|Color||Black goes well with everything, as do grey and blue. Red, beige, and green also work surprisingly well with most tops and topcoats. Don't be afraid to experiment with color.|
|When Sitting||No matter the length, it is very important to sit and cross and uncross your legs in your skirt before buying. There is a difference between form-fitting and "I can't breathe." Also, while wearing the skirt, raise your hands above your head. This lets you see exactly how high the skirt may ride up, thus saving you from any potential embarrassment.|
Different Types of Teen Skirts
No matter your size or shape, there is a skirt out there to help maximize your assets and minimize any perceived flaws.
- The A-line skirt is aptly named because the shape of the skirt mimics the letter A. It sits small and slim on the waist before gradually widening toward the hem. The length of the A-line usually sits at, or just below, knee level. Since this style skims rather than clings to the body, it's perfect for anyone wanting to conceal their hip or thigh area.
- The pencil skirt looks great on everyone, but because it has a slightly tapered bottom, it works especially well on a curvy figure. These skirts excel at showing off every curve and should fall just slightly above or below the knee. This style also works well on either a long or short torso.
- The tube skirt is similar to the pencil skirt, but is longer and usually stops at the ankle. This is also an ideal cut for a curvaceous figure while remaining an especially popular style in teen skirts.
- The asymmetrical skirt has an uneven hemline with one side hanging slightly higher than the other. If you'd like to conceal the tops of your thighs while still looking fashion forward, then this is the style for you. Keep in mind that the fit should neither be too loose, nor too tight.
- The column tends to look best on tall and leggy frames, but will also work on a more rounded figure. These skirts are quite long, falling to the ankle or just below it.
- A maxi skirt is a great option for most body types and falls to below the ankle. Styles range from very full and flowy to slim and figure-hugging.
Where to Buy the Perfect Skirt
You can purchase quality and trend conscious teen skirts in stores or online:
Be sure to check the return policy before purchasing a skirt, especially if you have to shop online. Stores with brick-and-mortar locations should have a store locator link, so carefully check the top and bottom of each website page. You may be surprised to find that there's a location near you.
Don't forget to check consignment and thrift stores. Items are often in great condition, cost less than retail, and allow you to expand your wardrobe more easily within a budget. You also don't run as much of a risk of wearing a skirt that several other people in your class have in their closet.
What to Keep in Mind When Buying a Skirt
Although there are tons of skirt options on the market, try not to make yourself too crazy when skirt shopping. By keeping key factors like quality, cut, length, and style in mind, your fashion prowess will be wowing the crowd in no time.