For some going to prom is a huge milestone, but for others it may not feel that important. There is no right or wrong decision when it comes to going to prom, and there are a few factors to consider when making your choice.
Deciding to Attend Prom
Prom can be an incredible experience that marks the end of your high school years. It can be a great time to hang out with friends, enjoy each other's company, and savor the final moments of high school.
Why You Should Go to Prom
If you're leaning towards going to prom, you can think about how you would feel if you didn't attend. Before making your decision, consider:
- It may be one of the last times all of your friends are in the same location for a while.
- It's fun to get dressed up and take pictures with your friends before prom.
- It's a good way to let loose and enjoy the company of your peers before everyone heads off and does their own thing.
- It's a sentimental memory that you may cherish as you look back on your teen years.
- It's a nice ending to your high school career.
- You might ask or get asked by someone you like.
Going to Prom Without a Date
If you want to go to prom, but don't have a date, there's no need to worry. You can definitely have a great time without a date by your side. Going without a date means that:
- You can go with a group of friends.
- You won't feel pressure to hang out with one person all night.
- You can float and enjoy hanging out with different groups of people all night.
- If you aren't having a good time, you can leave whenever you'd like.
Deciding Against Attending Prom
If you aren't into the idea of going to prom, that's totally okay. Many people decide against going to this dance and don't regret their choice.
Reasons to Skip Prom
If you aren't set on going to prom, or are on the fence about deciding, it's important to think about why you don't want to go. Some may not go to prom because:
- The person you want to go with is going with someone else.
- You don't like dancing, or feel too embarrassed to do so.
- Your close friends aren't going.
- You would rather do something else either alone or with friends.
- You won't be in town or have a previously planned event on the same day.
Feeling Pressured to Attend
You may feel pressure from friends or family members to attend your prom. Ultimately you have to make the right decision for you. Go with your gut and trust that you are capable of making your own choices, even if others around you tell you otherwise. You only have one chance to attend your senior prom, so be sure to think about which decision feels the best to you.
Making the Right Choice for You
It can be challenging to decide whether going to prom is the best choice for you. Consider your options for the evening and think about how you'll feel knowing you did or did not attend. You can always go and leave if you aren't having a good time. If you are set on not going, but still want to celebrate the end of your high school career, plan something fun with your friends and take a few pictures so you can save these special memories.