Ultra low rise jeans are cut to sit on a different place on the body when they are worn. Instead of the usual waistband-near-bellybutton look, these jeans fall at the low hip and often barely rise above the low back and buttocks. They are daring and supremely body conscious, so they aren't exactly perfect for all men.
Shopping Options for Men
There are several options to consider for finding this style for men. Knowing what brands and stores feature this style will help guide you in your search.
Diesel has a range of denim for men. Their jeans are known for their signature distressing and trendy styling and are constructed from high quality denim made from 100% cotton. All jeans come with the Diesel logo, stud detailing and stitched trim. If you shop online at Diesel.com, all orders over $150 ship for free. These designer jeans typically are priced at over $200.
For a trendy low rise jean, check out the following styles:
- Viker 0885K: Viker is done in a faded, worn-in effect and comes in a dark wash. They sit low on the waist and feature hidden buttons and five pockets.
Offering trendy clothing for men and women, this store is popular for skinny fits and edgy jeans. Prices are fairly affordable, ranging from around $40 to $50. Check Hot Topic for select styles of these men's jeans, such as the Rude Jeans line available at Hot Topic also has a number of unique styles in low rises, including vintage washes, bright colors, and super skinny fits.
Wanq Men's Wear
This unique clothing company specializes in men's clothing that is designed to be both stylish and sexy. They have several jean styles described as having super-lo rises, including straight leg, skinny fit, and boot cut; prices for these designer jeans range from $165 to close to $200. Visit the Wanq online store for brands such as Landsdown, Goodlet, and Kendall.
American Eagle is Known for their classy, yet modern clothing. American Eagle's boot cut jeans for men are described as sitting extra low at the waist. They are available in Sandy Medium or Light Destroy washes for around $40.
You may be pleasantly surprised to find that Wrangler makes a low rise jean for men. Wrangler Retro Slim Boot Cut Jeans are done in a slim fit with classic five pocket styling. They are designed to sit low on the waist and are made from 100% cotton. This style is priced at just over $50 and comes in a variety of washes such as Worn, Rusted Nail and River Wash.
Levi's carries the 527 Slim Boot Cut Jeans. They are styled with a modern boot-cut and sit low on the waist and slightly higher in back. They are cut slim in the seat and thigh and feature Levi's signature five pocket detailing. They come in a variety of colors such as Overhaul, Medium Chipped, Tumbled Rigid and Indigo Black and are priced just below $60.
Guess sells a wide range of jean styles for men. From skinny to straight, men can be sure to find jeans done in a low rise by Guess. Most styles are priced around $100 and are done in 100% machine washable cotton. Some low rise jeans to check out include:
- Slim Tapered Jeans: These low rise jeans are done in a tapered cut and are designed to fit slim. They have five pocket construction, whiskering at the hips as well as belt loops and a zip fly. This style is available in a 30 to 34 inch inch inseam, and the rise in the front is 10 inches and the back rise is 14 1/4 inches.
Understanding Men's Low Rise Jeans
When shopping for ultra low rise jeans, be aware that they may also be called "lowrise" in stores. Although different brands vary in what they consider a low rise, jeans with a rise of under eleven inches are usually considered low for men; however some go much lower. The tricky part is that oftentimes designers don't specify the rise in inches, and might simply state it sits low on the waist -- so it's best to try on the jeans before buying to make sure you are getting what you want.
If you've found the perfect pair of jeans, chances are that you want to style them. Here's what to pair with your brand-new jeans.
- The Jacket: Select a jacket that blends in, because jeans that are ultra low can be pretty daring on their own. If you are cultivating a preppy or collegiate look with low rise jeans, select a sports jacket or blazer. If you are wearing super tight jeans, consider something classic like a trench coat or bomber jacket.
- The Shirt: The shirt worn with ultra low jeans is the make-or-break item. It can't be too short, because that would be too revealing, and it also can't be too clingy, either. If you select jeans very low rise jeans with a looser fit, you may want to try longer polo shirts and plaid shirts with a layered tank underneath. If you have tighter low rise jeans, you can select sweaters and hooded sweatshirts with longline appeal.
- The Shoes: Try to stay away from bright colors with your shoes. In order to match your low rise jeans, you should try a leather boot for men in either a pointed, "cowboy" style, or something rugged, with a lace-up front and heavy-duty soles.
Not for Every Man
Ultra low jeans may be trendy and stylish but that doesn't mean everyone can wear them. This style of jean sits lower than the waistline and is meant to flatter a slim build. Those who are daring enough to bare more will enjoy wearing this style of jean.