Becoming a teenage bodybuilder is something that many young men are interested in at some point during their teenage years. Bodybuilders are often very strong and fit, which is something that many teen boys aspire to be. While it can be hard at times, bodybuilding is usually a great way to stay in shape, grow confidence and even make friends.
Benefits and Safety Concerns of Teen Bodybuilding
When you decide that you want to be a teenage bodybuilder, there are several things you need to do in order to avoid getting hurt. Staying safe while weightlifting should be something that you find important, since reckless weightlifting can lead to serious injuries. This might concern some parents, but if you assure them that you are going to take all possible safety precautions, then they will most likely let you continue trying to become a teenage bodybuilder. Some ways that you can stay safe while working out are:
- Drinking a lot of water before, during and after exercise so that you do not get dehydrated
- Always having someone there, preferably a responsible, knowledgeable adult, to make sure that you do not hurt yourself while working out.
- When you are trying to lift very heavy weights, make sure you have someone spotting you in case you cannot lift them.
- Never try to push yourself beyond your limits.
While there are dangers to teenage bodybuilding, there are also many benefits:
- Bodybuilding is a good way to stay in shape
- More confidence
- Muscle growth
- Increase in endurance
- Better balance
Exercising is good for teens, and teenage bodybuilders will spend less time on the couch watching television or on the computer than other teens, since bodybuilding takes commitment to exercise as well as motivation.
Teenage Bodybuilder Diet and Workout Plans
It is important for teenage bodybuilders to know what their workout plans are going to be before going to the gym or weight room. Having a healthy, balanced diet is also important when you are trying to build muscle. When you get ready to go to the gym, some good tips are:
- Consult weightlifting magazines or websites about what weights you should start lifting when you are beginning your weightlifting program.
- Make sure you eat a healthy meal after you exercise, and stay hydrated while you are exercising.
- Don't go to the gym and randomly use machines, this could do more damage than good, since there is no consistency to your workout routines.
- Always do warm up and cool down exercises.
- Make sure you get seven to eight hours of sleep every night, since your body grows while you sleep.
- Exercising for more than an hour when you first start will not do you as much good as an hour long weightlifting session would, you should keep your workouts fairly short so that you do not get overtired.
Adult bodybuilders are often role models for pre-teen boys who wish to become like them when they get older. It is important that you wait to lift weights until you are older though, since you could damage your bones.